Can you answer “yes” to one or more of these questions?:
- Is your business a one-man-band or husband-and-wife type of business?
- Are you a bit shy and find the prospect of networking and meeting people face to face a bit daunting?
- Are you thinking about outsourcing the sales role to a sales rep, either hiring him/her as an employee or as a contractor (for a retainer plus commission)?
If you answered “yes” to one or more of those questions, then read the following list before you hire.
9 Reasons Why Outsourcing Your Sales Role Would be a Disaster and Why You Must Be Your Own Salesperson
- When that salesperson leaves, you have nothing, and you’ll have to start again
- A drawer full of business cards of people they met have zero value because they met those people, not you
- Fire yourself today and go and get a “real job”
- It’s passion and enthusiasm that gets sales
- So you’ll be taking the risk on someone new all over again in about 6 months
- Your personality and manner is actually a great advantage and point of difference (compared to a hired salesperson)
- Your enthusiasm and passion for what you do is contagious and generates sales
- Contracts, PAYE, holiday pay, sick days…
- And worst of all, they get paid every week and you might not. And they get to switch off at 5pm every day and go home at night, but you stress 24/7 and have sleepless nights
- You can’t delegate the collection of feedback to anyone but you
- This is the fastest way to find out if what your offering is actually of no interest to the marketplace and you need to change what you’re offering (this is called a “pivot”)
So instead of putting your hard earned money into a salespersons pocket in the hope that they’re going to make sales for you one day, invest in yourself and learn how to sell.
3 Ways to Learn How to be a Better Salesperson
- You can do it for free by reading every book on sales at your local library
- Read at least the top 10 books on sales
- Be sure to include The Sales Bible – The Ultimate Sales Resource by Jeffrey Gitomer