This is one of those books.
(This is actually the first of a pair of books. The sequel is called Homo Deus which looks at the future).
My whole adult life I’ve had a conflict between my Christian beliefs and my interest in science when it comes to the origin of humanity (and all life on this planet). This book nudged me one step closer to the explanations provided by science.
This book tackles the big questions:
- Was the universe and humanity created by God?
- Or, have humans, and all life on this planet, evolved over millions/billions of years? And if so, what is the evidence?
- What is the purpose of humanity?
- Why is all life driven to survive and thrive?
- Were religions created by people to help us co-operate better?
I found a summary much better than one I could have written by James Clear on his blog: Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari, summary written by James Clear.
So I have copied James Clear’s notes below, but first, here are 5 ideas that really stood out to me. Continue reading “Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari”