The client was about to build a new pier that would contain space for 2 restaurants/bars/cafes.
We decided early on that the best bet would be to advertise locally because we knew that many of the owners of these restaurants/bars/cafe’s own several establishments and may have intentions to add to their portfolio or be open to re-locating to somewhere higher profile.
Objective: To motivate restaurant owners in the Tauranga area to consider moving premises to the yet-to-be-built Pier development
The 5 Step Approach (that I always use)
- Generate a list of ideas how to communicate with this audience
- Select the method that offered the best opportunity for Return on Investment
- Develop the creative as required
- Deliver the creative to the audience
- Measure the results
- Easy access to a list of addresses (I simply copy and pasted address details for 120+ restaurants/bars/cafes from the YellowPages.co.nz directory)
- Ability to customise the letter for each recipient so it appears the letter was personally written just for them (its easy to ignore a letter that says “Dear Sir/Madaam”, but it’s hard to ignore one that bears your name, and in this example, the name of your restuarant)
- Easy connection between MS Word and MS Excel by using “Mail Merge” to pump out the finished documents
It is common for Direct Mail campaigs to generate about 1% response rate. This campaign achieved 5.3% response rate.