The client owns a website that lists all the 100+ thermal hot pools around New Zealand. They wanted to upgrade the 36 commercial hot pools from the free listing (every hot pools was entitled to one of these), to the Premium listing which provided greater detail and made the hot pool more attractive to prospective customers.
The first step was to call all 36 commercial hot pools around the country to:
- Determine who the decision maker was
- To confirm contact details
- To tell them to expect the letter in the mail soon
All the letters were sent out at once, and the following week follow-up calls were made to close the sale.
I wrote a 11 page document (3000 words) with the following features:
- Attention grabbing image on 1st page: “Imagine this sign out on your driveway: We’re Sorry, due to unprecedented demand, “name-of-their-pool” is full to overflowing. Please try again tomorrow.”
- Highly personalised: 43 instances of personalisation including their first name mentioned 16 times!
- Sent in an A4 envelope (flat) but with handwritten address so it looked official and important
- Content that told an compelling story that focused on what the hot pool owner gets out of the deal
- A limited time offer: “Respond before 5pm Friday”, + a limited number of customers “Only 10 positions available”
- 3 packages to choose from with ascending prices and value
- 9 of the 10 available spots were filled