New ideas are exciting!
Sometimes great ideas wake you in the middle of the night (and at the time you are sure you’ll remember them so you don’t bother writing them down… oops).
Sometimes great ideas happen to you when you are alone (like in the shower, or in the car), and it’s so annoying that there isn’t someone right there you can tell it to.
Your new idea might be an invention, a solution to a problem, a decision, or an idea for a new business.
Do you ever find yourself hesitating before you share the idea with someone, because you are worried that they will steal it?
Well, let’s check how often that actually happens.
7 Possible Reactions When You Share Your Awesome Idea
- 43% of people you tell will be bored or just don’t care
- Don’t be offended, they still love you, just not this idea
- 24% of people will see something you don’t see in the idea, and provide you with another idea to help you shape your one
- This is the best possible reaction because now you’ve got something better than your initial idea
- 12% of people will point out that your idea is not new and where to find it already in existence
- This is a great outcome, because you can either decide what your point of difference will be or put it aside and dream up a new idea
- 9% of people will spread your idea to more people
- This is also a great outcome because you’ll benefit from this list of possible responses being repeated
- 7% of people will tell you why your idea sucks
- That’s ok, because it’s good to get a reality check. You can ignore their criticism and plow on, or dump the idea and move on
- 5% of people will be inspired and offer their help to get you started
- That’s a great result because 2 heads are better than 1
- 0% of people will steal it and set up in competition to you
- Yes, that’s right, zero. The worry that someone will steal your idea is an illusion. And even if they do steal it, that’s the biggest compliment in the world
So, what do you think about this?
Have your say in the comments below.
(As always, these statistics are made up for dramatic purposes 🙂