Posters can be a great form of advertising for 4 main reasons:
- They are cheap to reproduce in high volumes
- Easy to produce (lots of printers/copy shops to choose from, or print on your own printer)
- Highly visible, they make an impact
- You choose the location, so you can target your customers
Here’s a quick guide to help you get the most out of poster advertisements:
1. Be Bold
- To draw people’s attention, the focal point of your poster should be a large image. Think about the services you offer and what best represents those services.
- If you run a restaurant, a picture of your signature dish would be great.
- Alternatively, you can think of representing a need your potential customer will relate to.
- If you are a massage therapist, you might choose a picture that shows stress or soreness, then state that your business will help with that need.
- A bold headline can also draw attention. Keep it relatively short so that people can read it easily.
- If you can, have the poster printed in color
2. Keep It Simple
- A poster is not the place to list all the details of your business and services.
- Your goal should be to attract the attention of people walking by and enable them to find your business later.
- Keep the text limited to a simple, attention-grabbing headline, a small blurb or catchphrase, and your website and phone number.
- Adding too much text will make your poster cluttered and difficult to read.
- Less information in a larger font will draw the eye and be easier to remember.
3. Location, Location, Location
- The great thing about posters is that you can hang them anywhere.
- Think about your target customers and what locations they might frequent.
- If you run a dog walking business, you could hang posters at local veterinarians and pet stores.
- If you offer tutoring services, you could try posting at schools or at cafes that draw in students.
- If you’d like to hang your poster at another business, make sure you ask first.
- Many small businesses will allow you to post advertisements on a bulletin board.
- Post offices also usually have bulletin boards where you could pin your poster.
- And look out for community bulletin boards in commercial areas.
- Of course, you can also tape your poster around telephone poles in the neighborhood around your business.
- As you hang more posters, more and more people will recognize your name.
What do you think?
Have your say in the comment below.